SANTA MARÍA DE BAREYO (R)
Built on what was possibly a monastic foundation of Alfonso II in the 9th century, it is first documented in 1195. It currently consists of a single nave covered by ogive vaults resulting from a later remodelling, a false transept with two-body square lantern and a large apse with two absidiols on its sides in the transept. In later phases side chapels, a sacristy, a portico and a tower to the feet were added. The exterior decoration in apse capitals and portico is interesting, but the greatest interest is in the interior of the apse and in the transept, in which local masters created one of the most interesting sculptural ensembles of the Cantabrian Romanesque.
For more information see its description on Arteguías