SANTA MARGARIDA DEL CAIRAT
To our friend Xavier Riera Camps, Pre Romanesque Art lover and expert in High Medieval Miniature, who has let us know this hermitage and has furnished us with a great part of the information and photographs used for this file
- Small hermitage formed by a nave and an apse, a very usual structure in the Pre Romanesque period, both sides of the Pyrenees.
- The most ancient documentation we know about Santa Margarida is from 1205, when Ramón de Guàrdia, Lord of Esparraguera, makes in his will a donation of ten sueldos (Arxiu de la Corona d’Aragò. Barcelona, Cartulary of San Cugat del Vallès, page 195r).
- It was restored in 1965 under the direction of the architect D. José María Perleas, with the collaboration of Eduard Iunvent, stripping off the elements that had been added to its structure.
- In the first one, of which the whole structure has been preserved, the nave was covered by a wooden roof. Due to the characteristics of the triumphal arch as well as for the fact that the initial door was on the southern side, we think it is a work oth the times of the repopulation at the end of the 9th or beginning of the 10th centuries.
- In the second one, almost immediate to the former one, the lateral walls were reinforced to cover the nave with a barrel vault, building blind arches of the same type of the one that gives way to the apse, attached to each lateral wall, and the primitive Pre Romanesque door was walled up and a new entrance was made on the wall opposite to the apse.
- Later, possibly by the end of the Romanesque period, this new door was replaced by the semicircular arch with very regular voussoirs that still survive.
Other interesting information
Access: Located in Esparraguera, at 42.8 Km from Barcelona, direction Monserrat, within the farmhouse of Can Paloma on the old road from Esparraguera to Monistrol de Monserrat. GPS Coordinates : 41°34?5?N 1°51?58?E.
L’art pre-romànic a Catalunya. Segles IX-X: Xavier Barral i Altet. (Edicions 62, Barcelona,1981)
Les esglésies pre-romàniques al Baix Llobregat: Montserrat Pagès i Paretas. Institut d’Estudis Catalans
L’arquitectura religiosa a Catalunya abans del romànic.
Les esglésies pre-romàniques a la comarca del Baix Llobregat.
Un puente andalusí sobre el río Llobregat