Index of files of monuments
ALCALÁ DE MONCAYO (R)
Mozarabic - 10th Century - Zaragoza
Embedded in a semicircular cube of the castle wall we find a geminated window reused. Due to its characteristics, it corresponds to a Mozarabic building from the beginning of the 10th century. The jambs are made of sandstone ashlars. One on the left side and two on the right. Parteluz based on a monolithic cylindrical column on a very damaged base and on its top, a capital of simple forms based on leaves scarcely marked at their angles, with a central rib and a ball or perhaps pineapple at the top vertex.
ALCAZABA DE MÉRIDA (R)
Castles, Castles - 9th Century - Badajoz
Built by Abderramán II in 835, it was the seat of the administrative units, the governor’s residence and the city’s defensive and control center. In its perimeter, surrounded by walls of 2.70 meters wide, are distributed 25 solid towers, but the towers albarranas were built after the reconquest of the area. In the courtyard of the citadel are preserved multiple remains of the Roman city, of which the most significant elements are the blasón gate and its cistern, in which decorated pieces and the famous Visigoth lintels were reused. For more information see his description in
ALCAZABA DE TRUJILLO (R)
Castles - 9th Century - Caceres
Constructed by the Arabs in the second half of the 9th century, in the high of a rocky hill, it is formed by a construction of square plant of some 40m of side inside a wall of 900m of perimeter. The castle, which is constructed by Roman re-used ashlars, consists of two parts forming two big geometric adjacent enclosures. One is the Court of Weapon, with form of square, with a door placed between two towers, and other one, acquaintance as Albacar, with plant in the shape of hexagon. In times of the Kings Católicos a barbican was added.
ALCÁZAR DE MEDINA DE POMAR (R)
Castles - 14th Century - Burgos
Begun to constructing about 1370, it consists of two big towers joined by a central body of minor height. In that of the south side, of ground floor and three floors, sets with coffered ceilings, and ramparts, there was dedicated to housing while the north one, of similar structure, but without decoration, it would was dedicated to the guard and servitude. The central building, it was the palace with a great lounge. Property of the Town hall of Pomar’s Medina, it has been restored without very much success and turned into the Historical Museum of the Merindades.
ALCÁZAR DE SEGOVIA (R)
Renacentista, Castles - 15th Century, 13th Century - Segovia
It is one of the most impressive Spanish castles and of major historical importance. Documented from 1122 and with Roman and Arabic precedents, it was a royal residence from Alfonso VIII. Modified and extended by Fernando III and Alfonso X and later kings at least up to Philip II, in him Isabel The Catholic one was crowned as queen of Castile. Later it was prison, Royal College of Artillery and Historical Military File. Of irregular plant, it is clear of an exterior area that it includes the court, pit, drawbridge and tower of the honoring, and the interior of four floors, garrets, basements and several lounges and a chapel.
ALCAZAR REAL DE GUADALAJARA (R)
Castles - 9th Century - Guadalajara
Fortification of Andalusian origin from the 9th century converted over time into royal palace, cloths factory and military barracks, is currently in ruins. It is a rectangular enclosure of just over a hectare located on the west side of Guadalajara to protect the entrance to the city. It was finished in the 10th century and conquered by Christian troops in 1086 the Alcazar became a place of stay for the Castilian kings. Alfonso XI built a church dedicated to San Ildefonso in his interior and under his reign it was expanded into an authentic royal palace in the Mudejar style.
ANTECRIPTA DE SAN ANTOLÍN (R)
Romanesque - 11th Century - Palencia
Romanesque constructions in Palencia and in Castile in yes, since till then one had come this alone style realizing in the Aragonese and Asturian zone. Of the Romanesque cathedral you upset some vestiges have come to us, nevertheless, it turns out to be fundamental to know this crypt, since in her they agree the bases of what later would be the Romanesque one.
ARCO DE SAN JUÁN DE PANJÓN
Visigoth - 7th Century - Pontevedra
Unknown until 1926 when it was discovered under several layers of lime, situated as an arch of access to the presbytery in the ancient church of San Juan, on which the “Votive Temple of the Sea” was built between 1932 and 1937. There is no previous reference to the church from which this magnificent preromanic arch was conserved, which links with the wide set of horseshoe arches that exist in Galicia.
ASENTAMIENTO FORTIFICADO DE PUIG ROM
Visigoth - 7th Century - Gerona
At the top of a small peak near the sea called Puig de les Muralles are located the archaeological remains of an old fortified settlement which, due to its characteristics, has traditionally been identified as a military structure –castrum–, although it has also been interpreted as as a civilian town in height. The chronology attributed is from the 7th century, and so far no later chrono-typological element has been identified, so it is very likely that the place was abandoned after the Muslim occupation at the beginning of the 8th century (the latest element is a Agila II tremis). It has been tried to relate this fortified enclosure as one of the military agents of the rebellion of Doge Paul against King Wamba (a. 672); in fact, the site constitutes a paradigm among the settlements of Visigothic chronology in the northeast of the peninsula.
ASUNCIÓN DE MARÍA DE BOSSÒST (R)
Romanesque - 1st century - Lérida
The church of the Asunción de María de Bossòst was built at the end of the 12th century following the Valle d’Aran standard consisting of a basilica floor plan with three naves and semicircular apses. It has two belfries (one high on the north side and the other lower belfry on the roof) and two access doors to the temple, one in the north with a sculpted tympanum and a simpler one to the south.
BAÑOS ÁRABES DE TENERÍAS (R)
Other Styles - 11th Century - Toledo
Placed in the right margen of the river, close to the church of San Sebastian de las Carreras, they were discovered and excavated between 1988 and 1989 and studied in 1997. Constructed in the 11th century, in masonry with bricks placed to blight, it is compartimentado in several rooms or rooms which covers have disappeared between those who emphasize a foyer, the lavatories, a domed room, another room also domed, major that the previous one with two bedrooms in the ends, and in the southern part the Warm Room.
BAPTISTERIO DE GABIA LA GRANDE
Visigoth - 6th Century - Granada
Semi buried building, almost square, with an octogonal font in white marmor in its centre, covered with a media sphere vault and with an apse, a tower with a spiral staircase and a long access gallery. The whole decoration found suggests it was built during the first Byzantine domination of this part of Spain.
Basílica de Algezares
Visigoth - 6th Century - Murcia
Also called Basílica del Llano del Olivar, it has a basilica plan with three naves separated by arches on columns and a single extended semicircular apse. It had an attached circular baptistery, with a round pool. The construction technique is very poor but remains of richly decorated gates with geometric drawings, columns with secant circles, roped pilasters, etc. have been found.
BASÍLICA DE BOBASTRO
Mozarabic - 10th Century - Málaga
BASÍLICA DE CABEZA DE GRIEGO
Visigoth - 6th Century - Cuenca
Remains of the largest Visigothic church ever known have been found in the ruins of the Roman city of Segóbriga It was of basilical type with an elongated pseudo crossing with the shape of “tau”. It was dismantled during the restoration of the Monastey of Uclés and only the studies of the excavation in the 18th century and a few remnants of the decoration have survived.
Basílica de Casa Herrera
Visigoth - 6th Century - Badajoz
t has a square basilical plan of 15 metres by side with three naves separated by six columns and two opposed apses, both unattached, with prolonged semicircular shape. It was totally surounded by a set of small compartments that suggest it was built by African monks.
BASÍLICA DE EIO (Tolmo de Minateda)
Visigoth - 6th Century - Albacete
Basílica de El Germo
Visigoth - 6th Century - Córdoba
It has a basilical plan of 19 x 13 m, with three naves separted by rectangular supports and two opposed apses that connect on the southern side with another extended building, also with a double apse that contained an oval baptismal font. There was also a lateral portico in the northern side. It seems it was further used after the Arab invasion.
Basílica de Illetas del Rey
Visigoth - 5th Century - Baleares
Very similar to Torrello’s with a basilical plan with three naves and a square apse with two small lateral compartments. Here also the most interesting thing are the mosaics, very naturalist and fanciful, with drawings of flowers, plants and animals. Part of those have been preserved in the basilic an specially in the Museum of Mahón.
BASILICA DE LA ALCUDIA
Visigoth - 6th Century - Alicante
Excavated in 1905 in Alcúdia de Elche, it has also been considered as a sinagogue of the 4th century. It consists of an apse nave of 11 x 8 m facing from east to west and paved with mosaics in blue, white, pink and yellow. Almost the whole decoration of the nave, divided by friezes in three decorative sections, is geometrical and floral with Greek inscriptions.