CASTILLO DE CASTALLA (R)
Castles - 14th Century - Alicante
After Iberian and Roman settlements, in the eleventh century an Arab military area was created on a hill of great strategic importance, which was incorporated into the crown of Aragon in 1244. After important transformations in the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries, its present appearance corresponds to a refurbishment of the sixteenth in which the Grossa Tower was added. The castle is formed by a walled enclosure with the Palau, of residential character, at one end and the Grossa Tower, on the other, with the courtyard of weapons, the reservoir and other dependencies in its restored interior at the end of the twentieth century, the castle is in very good condition.
CASTILLO DE CASTROJERIZ (R)
Castles - 14th Century - Burgos
CASTILLO DE CASTROJERIZ (R)
Castles - 14th Century - Burgos
Castrojeriz, important stage of the Way of Santiago, was occupied by Celts, Romans, Visigoths, Arabs and finally Christians from the year 882 and in his castle, which was constructed by the Arabs and reformed in the 14th century, important battles developed between Christians and Moors. Of very irregular form, there was surrounded by a pit and a barbican by the most important displaced body in the western part, that consists of three parts. That of the south is situated very destroyed. That of the center, in which the tower of the honoring should have been, reports with the court of weapon for a small ogival door and the part west there was a tower.
CASTILLO DE CHINCHILLA DE MONTE-ARAGÓN (R)
Renacentista, Castles - 15th Century - Albacete
Arabic castle built on Roman and visigoths remains, reconquered in 1241 and totally reconstructed in the 15th century. It was used as prison between the 17th century and the XXth. Of big proportions, point is formed by two enclosures separated by an enormous pit of 6m of high place by 10 of width excavated in the rock, with a drawbridge – today eliminated – that was leading to his only door, of double arch of way placed between two cylindrical buckets. The wall was completed by towers of rectangular plant in the corners and cylindrical buckets distributed by the interior wall.
CASTILLO DE CHIREL (R)
Castles - 11th Century - Valencia
Castle of Arab origin, built on a rocky mass overlooking the canyons of the river Júcar. Fortress of defensive nature, with arrow slits, parapets, embrasures and a pit in one of its sides, is triangular in shape to adapt to the terrain on the ground, with two towers, one trapezoid with several levels and another square of two levels, in which one of them the barrel vault is still preserved. After its conquest by the Christians, it was a center of operations in the wars against the Moors. It was very restored in the 15th century.
CASTILLO DE COCA (R)
Castles - 15th Century - Segovia
Military castle of Gothic-Mudéjar style considered the prototype of Castilian stately castle of the fifteenth century. Built in brick in the middle of the 15th century, it consists of two enclosures, both battlements and with towers, the exterior, defensive, is surrounded by a large pit with a single access door protected by two large brick cubes. The interior enclosure is of square plan with towers in the corners, the largest is that of homage, with a spiral staircase in its interior that gives access to the different floors. To highlight the magnificent Mudéjar decoration of its rooms made with stuccos and paintings. Ceded for 100 years to the Ministry of Agriculture, it was restored between 1956 and 1958 and houses the Forest Training School.
CASTILLO DE COFRENTES (R)
Castles - 11th Century - Valencia
CASTILLO DE CONSUEGRA (R)
Castles - 1st century - Toledo
Existing since the Visigoth era, it is sadly famous because in the battle of Consuegra the only male son of the Cid Campeador was rebuilt in the 12th and 13th centuries by the Knights Hospitallers. It consists of a square central body with large cylindrical towers on each side and an Albarrana tower connected by an adarve with the rest of the construction and all surrounded by a defensive barrier. Very deteriorated by the French troops in the War of Independence, it has been very well restored by the City of Consuegra. We recommend your visit.
CASTILLO DE CORIA (R)
Renacentista, Castles - 15th Century - Caceres
It was built on a former fortress of Roman origin, and on a Templar fortress in the 12th century, which was enlarged in 1472 and joined to an Albarran tower that also existed before, possibly since the 13th century. The five-storey keep-up tower with the upper crenellated terrace has a pentagonal shape, formed by a square to which is added a triangle on one side, whose vertex protrudes from the walls. It has two doors, one of them blinded, the inner staircase at one of the angles and in the center of the upper part of each side there is a guardhouse.
CASTILLO DE CORUÑA DEL CONDE (R)
Castles - 10th Century - Burgos
CASTILLO DE CUELLAR (R)
Renacentista, Castles - 15th Century - Segovia
Built in the 15th and 16th centuries, by Bertrán de la Cueva and his successors on a Previous Fortress, it was Occupied by French Troops During the war of Independence. It has a rectangular plan with Towers at the corners, three of them Cylindrical and the Fourth square, which in its Lower part retains a large Brick arch, possibly preserved from the Previous construction, with one of the access doors to the Castle. Very interesting the wide Renaissance gallery on the South side of the wall. Very well restored, it has been converted into Secondary Education Institute, file of the dukedom of Alburquerque and offers Tourist visits.
CASTILLO DE CUZCURRITA (R)
Renacentista, Castles - 15th Century, 14th Century - La Rioja
Cuzcurrita, in the Middle Ages, was a strong walled square, beside having his castle outside. The current strength was constructed, astride of the XIVth and XVth century. It is an enclosure walled of square plant, which takes advantage of the river and a creek molinar as pit of defense, with buckets in the angles and a slender tower of the honoring without windows not saeteras, except some small opening practised nowadays, and that in his four top angles presents four projecting ones not very declared like sentry boxes or watchtowers. It has been restored in the middle of the 20th century.
CASTILLO DE EL BARCO DE ÁVILA (R)
Castles - 1st century - Avila
Built in the twelfth century on a castro veton that was destroyed by the Romans, and rebuilt in the fourteenth century, is a castle of square plan, surrounded by moat and contrafos today disappeared, with cylindrical cubes in its corners and a large tower of homage, also square, located very close to the gate of ojival access. In the courtyard of weapons there was a Romanesque archery and the dependencies attached to the walls with the main areas on the noble floor and the rooms on the second floor. Currently only the walls and towers are conserved.
CASTILLO DE EMBID (R)
Castles - 15th Century, 14th Century - Guadalajara
Built by Diego Ordóñez, servant of Alfonso XI, partially destroyed in the time of Pedro I, rebuilt from 1426 and burned down by the Austrian armies in the War of Succession, it has been restored at the beginning of the 21st century. Of pentagonal plant, with crenellated cubes in four of its corners and in the southern side, where they are few rest of the wall, a great tower of the homage with its only door located to quite height, to which it is acceded by means of a staircase.
CASTILLO DE ENCINAS DE ESGUEVA
Castles - 14th Century - Valladolid
Built at the end of the 14th century, Enrique III “el Doliente” lived in it for three years, and was modified in the third quarter of the 16th century by Antonio del Río Aguilar to make it a family residence, adding a Renaissance courtyard of which only the remains of three capitals. It is square in plan with two towers, the one with the tribute has two mullioned windows, surrounded by a barbican and a moat and its decoration is limited to some heraldic emblems. Its exterior has been completely restored, although the interior has been dismantled and is used only for cultural events.
CASTILLO DE FANTOVA (R)
Castles - 11th Century - Huesca
It is the fortified complex of the XI with older dating and in which constructive contributions were made totally innovative with respect to the existing until now in our territory, such as the vault of edge of the main room of the tower. The set consists of a wall that surrounds the tower and a church. The tower, which is supposed to be built in Lombardy, is about four and a half meters in diameter, and eighteen meters high, with the access door on the second floor.
CASTILLO DE FRÍAS (R)
Castles - 13th Century - Burgos
Castle on a rock shaped by a mixture of constructions of the XIIth, XIIIth, XVth and XVIth century. Constructed in masonry in the 9th century like defense against the Muslims and preserved good, he devotes himself to uses tourist and to the organization of events. The tower of the honoring on a rock separated from the rest of the construction, with defenses and own cistern on a quadrangular enclosure formed by high crenellated walls with the court of weapon, a walk of round and paths round towers in the exterior vertexes were forming a defensive exceptional set.
CASTILLO DE FUENSALDAÑA (R)
Renacentista, Castles - 15th Century - Valladolid
Although it began to be built in the 13th century, the present castle was built as a stately residence in the 15th century, according to the style of the School of Valladolid that is characterized by its castles of square plan with a great tower of homage. In it the Catholic Monarchs spent their honeymoon, it was used by the community members and in the twentieth century it was the first seat of the current Courts of Castile and Leon. It currently houses the promotional center of the Valladolid Castle Route, and offers guided tours, audiovisual and models of the castles of the province.
CASTILLO DE GAUZÓN (R)
Castles - 9th Century - Asturias
Placed in an elevation that was dominating the sea, on an accession of the VIIth and VIIIth century and possibly very previous, the castle was constructed by the Asturian monarches in the centuries VIII-IX. It was the most important strength of the kingdom, up to the point of which his name appears in the back of the Cross of the Victory that Alfoso III ordered to make in this place in the year 908. As it has revealed itself in the excavations, Gauzón was not only a castle, was treating itself about a complex of approximately 1.700 m2 endowed with military, residential, productive and sacred contents, as a monumental door protected by a great tower, a residential aristocratic space and a space eclesial with the church of San Salvador.
CASTILLO DE GRAJAL DE CAMPOS (R)
Castles - 16th Century - León
In a place in which there was an accession vacceo, occupied by the Romans from the year 117 and that was reconquered and strengthened in the 10th century, destroyed by Almanzor and reconstructed in 1162, constructed the current castle himself in the first quarter of the 16th century. Is considered to be the first gunner castle in Spain; it is of square form, on a bank, with four circular towers in the angles, a small door of access to the enclosure near a tower and it was surrounded by a pit today blocked up. The whole castle was refilled of land to render useless it and it has not been restored in spite of his good condition.