Index of files of monuments
Castles - 14th Century - Avila
Built in the late fourteenth or early fifteenth century around a Gothic church of the mid-thirteenth century, which only conserve the apse and the remains of the nave, and on the remains of a former Templar fortification, consists of a wall exterior with circular cubes and an interior enclosure where the church is located, a Renaissance building of two floors, from the sixteenth century, with a beautiful patio, in addition to the well and subterranean passageways lintelled and vaulted.
Castles - 11th Century - Zaragoza
It is one of the few Romanesque castles built on a plain, in order to control an important north-south communication route. Building of Sancho Ramírez towards 1083, of which the central tower of 7m of side and four plants in its origin is conserved, although now they are five, remade most in principles of S. XIII. The residential building that surrounds it, about 20m on the side, late Gothic from the XIV-XV centuries, serves as a buttress for the tower. All this was surrounded by a wall built in sillar stone of 160m length partly crenellated.
Castles - 13th Century - Badajoz
Built in the 13th century by the order of Alcántara, after the conquest of the area by Fernando III, on the ruins of an Arab fortress. It consists of a main building with two towers, a prismatic and another circular, surrounded by a wall, which, in the 15th century, was expanded to include a new building with housing and other buildings, leaving a “parade ground” between both buildings. Today it is a private property and few months ago reached an agreement with the City Council to illuminate the Castle.
Castles - 1st century - Alicante
Arabic castle built by the Almohads in the 12th century, which was conquered by the infant Alfonso de Castilla in 1245 and passed to the kingdom of Valencia in 1296. Formed by two fortified spaces, the highest, containing the citadel, it was formed by a polygonal wall with eight solid cubes distributed irregularly and with a large tower that we find in a mess located to the left of the main entrance and another triangular of Gothic period. In the outer enclosure have been found remains of domestic units and many objects for personal use.
Renacentista, Castles - 15th Century - Valladolid
With the longest history since the zone was repopulated in the 11th century up to the war of The Commoners. The castle is of trapezoidal form and consists of two enclosures. The first one or barbican is a great barrier artillera constructed in times of the Kings Católicos, who turned to the Castle of the Speck in the strength artillera more advanced of Europe. The second one is a very solid building with walls of great height, towers in the angles, tower of the honoring, chapel, court of weapon and other dependences.
Castles - 13th Century - León
Located within the walls surrounding the villa, Built in the 13th century, the conserved building belongs to a reconstruction of the 15th. Trapezoidal enclosure of about 32m of side, with the rounded southwest angle, that it possessed walkways, arrow slits, towers of flanking, latrines, and several cubes and conserves in good condition a tower of the external homage of five floors and top plan battlements . Municipal property since 1993, is in progressive ruin in spite of being Good of Cultural Interest since 1949 and being catalogued with Nº 26 in the Inventory of Protection of European Cultural Heritage.
Renacentista, Castles - 15th Century - La Rioja
Built in the second half of the fifteenth century on the site of an earlier fortress, possibly from the fourteenth century, which sank in 1457, is a rectangular building with four square towers on the vertices, crowned by a cornice run with matacanes, of greater height that of the Southwest angle that is considered like tower of the homage. All the route that is conserved corresponds to its structure of that time, although in the eighteenth century modifications were made to improve its habitability. After passing through different owners, since 1999 it belongs to the community of La Rioja that has carried out some improvement works.
Castles - 11th Century - Huesca
The castle was built in the 11th century by order of King Sancho III to serve as a frontier outpost. Of this time they date the real building, the chapel, the tower of the Queen, the courtyard of arms, the military stays and of service and the tower of the homage, old tower albarrana. Later, around 1071, during the reign of Sancho Ramírez an extension and remodeling was carried out that included the church. The walled enclosure is built in 1287.
Castles - 14th Century - Burgos
As a result of the feudalisation of the territories of Castile between the eleventh and thirteenth centuries, the families of the small nobility that prospered in this environment of the vale of Mena, built residences of defensive character, of which this castle is one of the most interesting and best preserved. Built by the Velasco family at the end of the 14th century, it is a four-storey tower and a terrace, about 20m high and thick walls, surrounded by a fence built of masonry with cubes and defensive towers. It is in very good condition after a restoration that deserved a medal from the Spanish Association of Friends of the Castles.
Renacentista, Castles - 15th Century - Madrid
Built by the Mendoza family in the 15th century to replace a previous castle from which remains are preserved near the village of Manzanares el Real. It is one of the most complete and best-preserved Renaissance palaces-fortresses of the many that were built by the Castilian nobles in the time of Juan II and Enrique IV. It has a square ground plan with three circular cubes and a square tower of greater size in its angles, topped by a terrace with machicolations and battlements and surrounded by a defensive wall, its interior is conceived as a sumptuous palace.
Castles - 10th Century - Toledo
In 981 Almanzor ordered one of his best architects to create a fortress over an existing one. Reconquered in 1083 by Alfonso VI and in 1177 Alfonso VII donated the castle and its lands to the Order of Calatrava that resisted between 1196 and 1198 resisting the siege of the Almoravids. Rebuilt in the fifteenth century it passed to the Spanish Government which installed in it a barracks of the Civil Guard. Located at the end of the walled enclosure, it is rectangular in two levels, with thick walls, with a moat on two sides and three circular towers plus another one added later.
Castles - 14th Century - Badajoz
Castles - 14th Century - Zaragoza
Also so called Castle of the Luna, it was donated by Sancha of de Abiego in 1175 to the Templars who supported it up to his disappearance. The current strength that dates back to the 14th century, constructed in stone of limestone, is of rectangular form with six towers, four in the corners and other two in the center of the major sides, of different heights and plants, in which there were distributed stays of very diverse use; the set is divided in two differentiated parts, the dedicated one to the defensive action or other one the palatial residence and of services.
Castles - 9th Century, 1st century - Tarragona
Castle Templar who to his dissolution would go on to the hospitable order. It is placed in the high of a hill and in him two differentiated well enclosures are distinguished, low, Arab of the IXth to XIth century, of great size by two staggered totally walled terraces and other one of construction templaria in the XIIth and XIIIth century of polygonal form and of great height, by five towers and court of weapon in the center that contains kas habitual dependences in the monastery of a military order as the church the refectory, the chapterhouse, the stables, the cistern, warehouse and silos.
Castles - 1st century - Guadalajara
Alcázar Arab conquered and rebuilt by Alfonso I the Battler in 1129, but its current appearance corresponds to the last modifications of the late thirteenth century. It is the largest fortress in the province of Guadalajara and consists of two enclosures, an exterior wall with crenellated towers and five access gates and the castle, with which it preserves four towers and remains of two others, although it has eight, with a single access door framed by two towers.
Renacentista, Castles - 15th Century - Avila
Built by Beltrán de la Cueva between 1462 and 1474, it is attributed to the architect Juan Guas, although the access doorway was built in the 16th century when the moat and the drawbridge were eliminated. Located on a hill in which there was already a previous fortress, it consists of two square-shaped enclosures with circular cubes in the corners. The interior, in a very bad state, conserves a central arcaded patio around which the chapel and the rooms of residence and servants were located. The towers are vaulted and in the homage there were removable wooden floors, to prevent the assailants from entering the interior of the tower.
Castles - 13th Century - Toledo
Castle constructed in the 13th century by the Templars, on an Arabic strength of which still remains stay in his interior, though his origin would be Roman and later visigodo. Placed on an elevation of the area, protected largely to more than 10 meters of height on the river Torcón and protected by ravines and a pit in the rest it is a great protected area for crenellated walls with quadrangular towers. The access in the south side, it is formed by two by two doors protected by enormous towers albarranas of pentagonal plant.
Castles - 15th Century - Soria
Built in Gothic-Renaissance style in the first half of the 15th century, on another former castle, at one end of the walled village, on the edge of a steep hill, protecting the border between Castile and Aragon. It was ceded by Henry II to Bernard Duguesclin -“I neither remove nor make king but I help my lord”-. Of pentagonal plan with towers of different form in the angles, of which emphasize that of west, circular, elevation, octagonal. The castle has two access doors protected by machicolations.
Castles - 13th Century - Valladolid
Built in the 13th century on a fortress before 967 on the border of Castile with the Lion Kingdom, and situated on a hill that dominates the entire surroundings, it is one of the most impressive fortresses in the province, that could never be conquered. Square silver with three rectangular turrets and a large pentagonal homage tower joined by walls more than 20m high, with a cylindrical cube in the center of each side surrounding the courtyard of arms. Recently restored, it houses a Centre of Interpretation of the Middle Ages and in summer offers concerts programmed within the «Evenings of the Castles», organized by the Diputación de Valladolid.
Castles - 11th Century - Huesca
Built by Sancho Ramírez as a base for the siege and the conquest of Huesca to the Arabs, located only 5kms away, it was the Royal Pantheon where Alfonso I “El Batallador” was buried. It has a walled perimeter in the form of an irregular hexagon with the door in the center of the south side with the church forming part of the wall and the homage tower attached to the south side of the church as a bell tower. There is another crenellated tower in the southwest of the wall. It was very reformed in the XV and XVIII centuries.