Index of files of monuments

CASTILLO DE ALMOGUERA (R)

Castles - 15th Century - Guadalajara

Rock castle of Arab origin located in strategic position next to the river Tajo in an area where Roman and Visigoth remains have been found. Finally conquered the Arabs at the end of the 11th century. Mentioned in a 13th century document, the current castle was built in the 15th century by Ramirez de Guzmán, Master of Calatrava, who dismantled it shortly after having to abandon it. A recreation area was created on its remains in 1998, for which some towers and battlements were rebuilt, unrelated to their original form.

CASTILLO DE ALMONACID DE TOLEDO (R)

Castles - 9th Century - Toledo

Built by the Arabs on a mount that dominates the entire environment, it was given to Alfonso VI as dowry of his wife Zaida and donated to the Cathedral of Toledo. It was reformed in the 14th century by mandate of Archbishop Pedro Tenorio and used by Spanish and French in the War of Independence. Of elevated battlements walls, with exterior barrier and walk of round of the castle remain only the tower of homage, of three floors with vaults of brick, remains of reservoirs of a silo and of several rooms. It’s for sale by City Hall for a peseta, on condition of restoration.

CASTILLO DE ALQUÉZAR (R)

Castles - 11th Century - Huesca

Religious-military site that emerged as a Muslim fortress erected at the beginning of the IX and reconquered in 1067 by Sancho Ramírez. Of the primitive Romanesque fortress, two of the canvases of a powerful quadrangular tower, a church with a square plan and a flat head consecrated in 1099, the Lombard tower, with an interesting access door at the top of the hill, stand at the top of the hill. the first floor, adintelada with arch of discharge, and the one that was modified later to use like bell tower.

CASTILLO DE AMPUDIA (R)

Renacentista, Castles - 15th Century - Palencia

Constructed in the second half of the 15th century, on a castle of the 11th century, which in turn used the place of an Arabic fortress, it is a good example of Renaissance castle – palace. With trapezoidal plant, with big square crenellated towers in three of his angles, the major one that of the Homenage, it is surrounded by a barbican by cylindrical towers, by the door between two of them by a bridge, which would be that can be raised that was saving the pit. Very well restored at the end of the 20th century, it shelters the Collection of Art Fontaneda.

CASTILLO DE ARENAS DE SAN PEDRO (R)

Castles - 15th Century - Avila

The building shows typical characteristics of both military strength and palatial residence, as was common in the stately castles of the fifteenth century. The castle is built in granite and has a square floor of 51 meters on each side, with four circular towers of about 16 meters high, one at each corner, some crenellations and a rectangular keep, four floors, next to the entrance main, 26 meters high. The parade ground was surrounded by various dependencies: stables, warehouses, kitchens, rooms of the servants; the upper floor was intended as a residence for the nobility. It has doors and windows with a pointed arch, a semicircular arch and a recess, as well as machicolations.

CASTILLO DE ARGUESO (R)

Renacentista, Castles - 15th Century, 13th Century, 14th Century - Cantabria

Placed on a hill in which there remain the remains of a chapel of the 9th century and a necropolis of the same epoch, the castle is formed by two towers, one of the 13th century and other one of the XIVth, to that in the 15th century was added a body of three plants that joined both towers and a wall. In the last third of last century archaeological excavations were effected in him and the whole castle was restored, with an exceptional recovery inside three buildings.

CASTILLO DE ATIENZA (R)

Castles - 9th Century - Guadalajara

Atienza is named by Latin chroniclers for her resistance to the Romans, to the point that she did not fall until they conquered Numancia. It was a Muslim castle that avoided the Cid for considering it too strong. Reconquered by Alfonso II and lost shortly afterwards, it was taken definitively in 1085 by Alfonso VI and extended by Alfonso VIII, who built the second belt of walls. The castle is located on a high promontory, has two enclosures adapted to the shape of the land, with the keep on the south side, square with four floors and terrace. It was devastated by French troops during the War of Independence, as it happened with much of this type of construction. He also suffered incidents in the Civil War (1936-39). At present its state is of ruin.

CASTILLO DE AULENCIA (R)

Castles - 14th Century - Madrid

Very little is known about its history, possibly of Muslim origin, there are no written references until the 14th century and in 1450 it is cited as a fortress in a document dated in the city of Madrid. Built with brick and masonry in Mudéjar style, it is formed by an exterior enclosure of which there are barely remains and a central body of square plan of about 25m of side, with cylindrical towers in the center of the sides and at its ends and a large tribute tower of several floors attached to two of its sides. In a state of ruin after being used and bombed in the Civil War.

CASTILLO DE AUNQUEOSPESE (R)

Renacentista, Castles - 15th Century - Avila

Also called Manqueospese castle, originating in a previous fortress, the eleventh or twelfth century, occupied by knights of Avila and completely renovated in the fifteenth century sits on a few rocks, adopting the shapes of the rocks. The fortress consists of two defensive enclosures, of which the exterior consists of a beautiful Renaissance door located between two towers, while in the interior, of much greater height, the main dependencies of the castle are concentrated: court of arms, stables, tower of the tribute, a wing that contained halls and kitchens, … All marinated with a beautiful legend of miserable loves that also relates the castle with the battle of Las Navas de Tolosa.

 

CASTILLO DE AYUB (R)

Castles - 9th Century - Zaragoza

Fortress of Muslim origin, built in the 9th century. It is one of the five castles that surrounded Calatayud. Conquered in 1120 by Alfonso I of Aragon and dismantled in 1705 by order of Felipe V, was used in the wars of Independence and Carlists. It has two enclosures, with two octagonal towers of two floors, a quadrangular cube and two towers of greater height, one of them octagonal and square the other, all united by canvases of wall, with two doors of access to the enclosure.

CASTILLO DE BELMONTE (R)

Renacentista, Castles - 15th Century - Cuenca

Fortress-palace Renaissance built by Juan Pacheco, first Marquis of Villena and restored in the S. XIX by Eugenia de Montijo, in recent years has been rehabilitated and open to the public. Formed by two enclosures, the interior in the form of a star is formed by two bodies formed a triangle with the homage tower in front and six other cylindrical towers, all closed in the form of a star by a wall. The outer enclosure is an artillery barrier with three doors and a hundred shooting points. Inside you can see beautiful coffered ceilings, period furniture, an audiovisual and a guided tour.

CASTILLO DE BELVÍS DE MONROY (R)

Castles - 14th Century - Caceres

Considered one of the most important castles of Extremadura, it was built in the fourteenth century around a great tower of homage of the previous century and was receiving modifications and new Gothic elements, Renaissance and baroque in the later centuries, until conforming this impressive fortress that still impresses despite its state of abandonment. Surrounded by a wall with defensive towers, also of different styles and periods, we find the castle, of polygonal structure with several towers and a series of residential dependencies of posterior construction, among which are the remains of a cloister.

CASTILLO DE BERLANGA DE DUERO (R)

Castles - 10th Century - Soria

Documented from the 10th century, the castle was conquered from the Muslims by Fernando I in 1059. It was modified in the 15th century and in the XVIth one surrounded him with a strength artillera with trapezoidal form finished off by circular buckets. The medieval castle has rectangular plant with tower of the honoring and is divided in two courts: the court of weapon of quadrangular plant and the residential one with porches of Gothic columns concerning a central cistern. Recently archaeological investigations have been done and it has been restored.

CASTILLO DE BIEL (R)

Castles - 11th Century - Zaragoza

Although the origin of the castle is in the reign of Sancho III el Mayor, it is believed that the tower is the work of Norman builders in the time of Sancho Ramírez around 1060. Within an irregular wall is this great tower, of which only the exterior walls, which had five floors of 105 m2, plus open platform on the top floor, with a total height of 25 m. The floors had wooden floors supported on four arches from the previous floor, in a palace-tower structure.

CASTILLO DE BUITRAGO DEL LOZOYA

Castles - 15th Century - Madrid

On an Arab fortress built where there was already a Visigoth settlement, in the fifteenth century the current castle was built, based on bricks, in Gothic-Mudejar style. Located in the southeast corner of the wall that surrounds the entire historic center of Buitrago, it is a rectangle with a large central courtyard. It has four towers at the angles and another three in the center of three of the canvases, all of stone and all solid up to the level of the adarve where they have their access, except one, pentagonal, which is accessed from the courtyard of arms. It was surrounded by a moat. It is currently being restored.

CASTILLO DE BUTRÓN (R)

Castles - 19th Century - Vizcaya

His history begins in the 11th century with the construction in this place of a tower, which in the XIVth was transformed into an impregnable castle of which only the ground floor stays of one of his towers because between the XIXth and XXth century it was reconstructed, following the romantic style of the castles of Luís II of Bavaria, inspired by Gothic, northern and fantastic forms, since we can see in his current aspect.

CASTILLO DE CALATRAVA LA NUEVA (R)

Castles - 13th Century - Ciudad Real

Built after the victory of the battle of Las Navas de Tolosa (1212), this monumental complex, seat of the Order of Calatrava and one of the most impressive military complexes of the Middle Ages in Spain, consists of three walled enclosures, which They house a castle, the church, the convent, the hostelry, and various rooms for the cemetery, the stables, the vegetable garden and the workshops of the craftsmen. Its surprising church is a large Romanesque church with three naves and a tripartite head, in which Gothic structures are already mixed.

CASTILLO DE CASTALLA (R)

Castles - 14th Century - Alicante

After Iberian and Roman settlements, in the eleventh century an Arab military area was created on a hill of great strategic importance, which was incorporated into the crown of Aragon in 1244. After important transformations in the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries, its present appearance corresponds to a refurbishment of the sixteenth in which the Grossa Tower was added. The castle is formed by a walled enclosure with the Palau, of residential character, at one end and the Grossa Tower, on the other, with the courtyard of weapons, the reservoir and other dependencies in its restored interior at the end of the twentieth century, the castle is in very good condition.

CASTILLO DE CASTROJERIZ (R)

Castles - 14th Century - Burgos

CASTILLO DE CASTROJERIZ (R)

Castles - 14th Century - Burgos

Castrojeriz, important stage of the Way of Santiago, was occupied by Celts, Romans, Visigoths, Arabs and finally Christians from the year 882 and in his castle, which was constructed by the Arabs and reformed in the 14th century, important battles developed between Christians and Moors. Of very irregular form, there was surrounded by a pit and a barbican by the most important displaced body in the western part, that consists of three parts. That of the south is situated very destroyed. That of the center, in which the tower of the honoring should have been, reports with the court of weapon for a small ogival door and the part west there was a tower.

Sort by
Search term
Phase
Style
Period
Country
State
State of conservation