Index of files of castles
Castles - 11th Century - Avila
Avila preserves the best set walled of Europe. Though the origin of the muralla is Roman, it thinks that those who have come up to us were begun in 1090 and his construction, which would last nine years, 2.000 men took part, though recent studies would delay it until middle of the XIIth. There has an almost rectangular perimeter of 2.526 meters with nine doors, four shutters 88 buckets or towers, 2.500 battlements, with a height not uniform height differs, with an average of 12 meters.
Castles - 11th Century - Zaragoza
Palace built in the 11th century by the Banu Hud, kings of the taifa of Zaragoza that includes the Torre del Trvador, two centuries earlier. Magnificently preserved, it is a fundamental monument in the history of Aragon and one of the best representatives of Hispanic-Muslim art. Surrounded by a square walled enclosure with semicircular towers are the buildings of the caliphal palace, of great architectural and ornamental richness. Conquered Zaragoza in 1118 by Alfonso I, was modified on several occasions and times, in one of which a Mudejar church was added.
Castles - 13th Century - La Rioja
Torre medieval del siglo XIII, considerada patrimonio-histórico. Por sus características corrresponde al prototipo de torre gótica en la región, tiene gruesos muros de sillería de 1,60m. de espesor, planta rectangular, y 19 m. de altura. Por sus características corrresponde al prototipo de torre gótica en la región.
Mozarabic, Castles - 10th Century - Burgos
This tower is located in Covarrubias. It is the only military stronghold preserved from that period. It is so called after Doña Urraca, grand daughter of Fernán González, who was sovereign abbess of the Monastery of St. Cosme and St. Damián in Covarrubias. Formed by three bodies, the first one possibly of Roman origin, with walls up to 3 m wide. The second one has a horseshoe door at many metres from the floor, and the last one, rebuilt in a later period, with windows and buttresses.
Castles - 15th Century - La Coruña
Built in the fifteenth century on a former fortress which at the same time stood on an old fort, it is formed by an L-shaped dwelling and three square-plan towers in the north-east, south-west and south-east, of which the one of the homage stands out, of three heights with a wooden balcony. All this is surrounded by an oval walled enclosure that encloses the main courtyard, with the entrance through a Gothic arch located in one of the towers. Privately owned was restored in 1988, a work that was awarded the Europa Nostra Prize in 1993.