Index of files of castles
Castillo - Siglo IX - Caceres
Constructed by the Arabs in the second half of the 9th century, in the high of a rocky hill, it is formed by a construction of square plant of some 40m of side inside a wall of 900m of perimeter. The castle, which is constructed by Roman re-used ashlars, consists of two parts forming two big geometric adjacent enclosures. One is the Court of Weapon, with form of square, with a door placed between two towers, and other one, acquaintance as Albacar, with plant in the shape of hexagon. In times of the Kings Católicos a barbican was added.
Castillo - Siglo XIV - Burgos
Begun to constructing about 1370, it consists of two big towers joined by a central body of minor height. In that of the south side, of ground floor and three floors, sets with coffered ceilings, and ramparts, there was dedicated to housing while the north one, of similar structure, but without decoration, it would was dedicated to the guard and servitude. The central building, it was the palace with a great lounge. Property of the Town hall of Pomar’s Medina, it has been restored without very much success and turned into the Historical Museum of the Merindades.
Castillo - Siglo XV, Siglo XIII - Segovia
It is one of the most impressive Spanish castles and of major historical importance. Documented from 1122 and with Roman and Arabic precedents, it was a royal residence from Alfonso VIII. Modified and extended by Fernando III and Alfonso X and later kings at least up to Philip II, in him Isabel The Catholic one was crowned as queen of Castile. Later it was prison, Royal College of Artillery and Historical Military File. Of irregular plant, it is clear of an exterior area that it includes the court, pit, drawbridge and tower of the honoring, and the interior of four floors, garrets, basements and several lounges and a chapel.
Castillo - Siglo IX - Guadalajara
Fortification of Andalusian origin from the 9th century converted over time into royal palace, cloths factory and military barracks, is currently in ruins. It is a rectangular enclosure of just over a hectare located on the west side of Guadalajara to protect the entrance to the city. It was finished in the 10th century and conquered by Christian troops in 1086 the Alcazar became a place of stay for the Castilian kings. Alfonso XI built a church dedicated to San Ildefonso in his interior and under his reign it was expanded into an authentic royal palace in the Mudejar style.
Castillo - Siglo XI - Huesca
The place was an enclave of Muslim fortress called Abinyuyas, from which it derives its current name and was taken by Sancho III el Mayor. It is accepted as the date of the reconstruction of the tower in 1023, the work of Lombard masters, to attack the Isábena basin. The building of the enclosure and chapel of the castle is later, the work of local teachers.
Castillo - Siglo XIII - Cuenca
Arab castle in an area where there are vestiges of Iberian and Roman constructions, conquered in 1184 by Alfonso VIII, who prepared from there in 1211 the battle of Las Navas de Tolosa. It is a great fortress built in masonry with ashlars in the corners on a high promontory, which is formed by three defensive enclosures, with a large rectangular tower, two large buildings and two other towers that defend the access door. At present it is a National Parador.
Castillo - Siglo XV - Salamanca
Watchtower constructed in the 12th century, which in the Sancho IV XIII it turned into castle. Destroyed in times of Enrique IV, Gutierre Alvarez of Toledo reconstructed it in the middle of the XVth as Renaissance castle – palace devastated by the French troops in 1812, of which only it stays the tower of the honoring and the ruins excavated of the rest of the castle, which present a rectangular form with a central court surrounded with a double gallery. In his interior it is possible to see a museum and several rooms with material of interest.
Castillo - Siglo XII - Albacete
Islamic style castle formed by a pentagonal tower and two circular turrets in the right angles, with three heights inside and an exterior wall of which only remains. It was built by the Almohads in the late 12th century and conquered by Alfonso VIII in 1213. Its present aspect is that of the renovation of the fifteenth century, in which its great tower of homage was built, destroyed in the wars of the Marquis and Carlist, and restored in a long process of reconstruction between 1964 and 1985.
Castillo - Siglo XII - Teruel
The castle of Alzañiz was ceded to the order of Calatrava by Alfonso II in 1197. The oldest area, of Cistercian aspect, corresponds to the northeast, where the Torre del Homenaje and the Chapel are located, dated at the end of the 12th century and the beginning of the 13th century. In addition to its church, with only one nave, the set of Gothic paintings decorating part of the atrium and the tower is very interesting.
Castillo - Siglo XV - Guadalajara
Rock castle of Arab origin located in strategic position next to the river Tajo in an area where Roman and Visigoth remains have been found. Finally conquered the Arabs at the end of the 11th century. Mentioned in a 13th century document, the current castle was built in the 15th century by Ramirez de Guzmán, Master of Calatrava, who dismantled it shortly after having to abandon it. A recreation area was created on its remains in 1998, for which some towers and battlements were rebuilt, unrelated to their original form.
Castillo - Siglo IX - Toledo
Built by the Arabs on a mount that dominates the entire environment, it was given to Alfonso VI as dowry of his wife Zaida and donated to the Cathedral of Toledo. It was reformed in the 14th century by mandate of Archbishop Pedro Tenorio and used by Spanish and French in the War of Independence. Of elevated battlements walls, with exterior barrier and walk of round of the castle remain only the tower of homage, of three floors with vaults of brick, remains of reservoirs of a silo and of several rooms. It’s for sale by City Hall for a peseta, on condition of restoration.
Castillo - Siglo XI - Huesca
Religious-military site that emerged as a Muslim fortress erected at the beginning of the IX and reconquered in 1067 by Sancho Ramírez. Of the primitive Romanesque fortress, two of the canvases of a powerful quadrangular tower, a church with a square plan and a flat head consecrated in 1099, the Lombard tower, with an interesting access door at the top of the hill, stand at the top of the hill. the first floor, adintelada with arch of discharge, and the one that was modified later to use like bell tower.
Castillo - Siglo XV - Palencia
Constructed in the second half of the 15th century, on a castle of the 11th century, which in turn used the place of an Arabic fortress, it is a good example of Renaissance castle – palace. With trapezoidal plant, with big square crenellated towers in three of his angles, the major one that of the Homenage, it is surrounded by a barbican by cylindrical towers, by the door between two of them by a bridge, which would be that can be raised that was saving the pit. Very well restored at the end of the 20th century, it shelters the Collection of Art Fontaneda.
Castillo - Siglo XV - Avila
The building shows typical characteristics of both military strength and palatial residence, as was common in the stately castles of the fifteenth century. The castle is built in granite and has a square floor of 51 meters on each side, with four circular towers of about 16 meters high, one at each corner, some crenellations and a rectangular keep, four floors, next to the entrance main, 26 meters high. The parade ground was surrounded by various dependencies: stables, warehouses, kitchens, rooms of the servants; the upper floor was intended as a residence for the nobility. It has doors and windows with a pointed arch, a semicircular arch and a recess, as well as machicolations.
Castillo - Siglo XIV, Siglo XV, Siglo XIII - Cantabria
Placed on a hill in which there remain the remains of a chapel of the 9th century and a necropolis of the same epoch, the castle is formed by two towers, one of the 13th century and other one of the XIVth, to that in the 15th century was added a body of three plants that joined both towers and a wall. In the last third of last century archaeological excavations were effected in him and the whole castle was restored, with an exceptional recovery inside three buildings.
Castillo - Siglo XIV - Madrid
Very little is known about its history, possibly of Muslim origin, there are no written references until the 14th century and in 1450 it is cited as a fortress in a document dated in the city of Madrid. Built with brick and masonry in Mudéjar style, it is formed by an exterior enclosure of which there are barely remains and a central body of square plan of about 25m of side, with cylindrical towers in the center of the sides and at its ends and a large tribute tower of several floors attached to two of its sides. In a state of ruin after being used and bombed in the Civil War.
Castillo - Siglo XV - Avila
Also called Manqueospese castle, originating in a previous fortress, the eleventh or twelfth century, occupied by knights of Avila and completely renovated in the fifteenth century sits on a few rocks, adopting the shapes of the rocks. The fortress consists of two defensive enclosures, of which the exterior consists of a beautiful Renaissance door located between two towers, while in the interior, of much greater height, the main dependencies of the castle are concentrated: court of arms, stables, tower of the tribute, a wing that contained halls and kitchens, … All marinated with a beautiful legend of miserable loves that also relates the castle with the battle of Las Navas de Tolosa.
Castillo - Siglo IX - Zaragoza
Fortress of Muslim origin, built in the 9th century. It is one of the five castles that surrounded Calatayud. Conquered in 1120 by Alfonso I of Aragon and dismantled in 1705 by order of Felipe V, was used in the wars of Independence and Carlists. It has two enclosures, with two octagonal towers of two floors, a quadrangular cube and two towers of greater height, one of them octagonal and square the other, all united by canvases of wall, with two doors of access to the enclosure.
Castillo - Siglo XV - Cuenca
Fortress-palace Renaissance built by Juan Pacheco, first Marquis of Villena and restored in the S. XIX by Eugenia de Montijo, in recent years has been rehabilitated and open to the public. Formed by two enclosures, the interior in the form of a star is formed by two bodies formed a triangle with the homage tower in front and six other cylindrical towers, all closed in the form of a star by a wall. The outer enclosure is an artillery barrier with three doors and a hundred shooting points. Inside you can see beautiful coffered ceilings, period furniture, an audiovisual and a guided tour.
Castillo - Siglo XIV - Caceres
Considered one of the most important castles of Extremadura, it was built in the fourteenth century around a great tower of homage of the previous century and was receiving modifications and new Gothic elements, Renaissance and baroque in the later centuries, until conforming this impressive fortress that still impresses despite its state of abandonment. Surrounded by a wall with defensive towers, also of different styles and periods, we find the castle, of polygonal structure with several towers and a series of residential dependencies of posterior construction, among which are the remains of a cloister.